Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Guitars Are a Girl's Best Friend

Today has been absolutely heinous. I mean, wholly terrible. So, I decided to look to my favorite girls for some advice, and in doing so, I compiled a list my top 10 influences. Look out, boys- these days, it's the girls who are manhandling rock and roll! I want to take a few minutes to give props to some of the women who’ve inspired me, empowered me, and to a large extent taught me how to rock. I decided to narrow it down to just 10, so please excuse me in advance for leaving off the dozens of other women in rock who’ve done something to pave the way. In loose chronological order:

Janis Joplin (singer-songwriter)

Carole King (singer-songwriter & pianist)


Tina Weymouth (The Talking Heads; bass guitar)
"I wasn't originally a bass player. I just found out I was needed, because everyone wants to play guitar." -Tina

Björk Guðmundsdóttir (singer-songwriter)


"Roach" (The Groovie Ghoulies; guitar & vocals)

Kim Deal (Pixies & The Breeders; guitar, bass guitar & vocals)
"Cool as Kim Deal" by The Dandy Warhols

Allison Robertson (The Donnas; guitar & vocals)
“It makes you feel like, wow, there are people who aren't jaded, who enjoy watching rock music, having a good time, clapping and dancing. You know, what you're supposed to do at a rock show!”

Fiona Apple (singer-songwriter & pianist)
“The way I feel about music is that there is no right and wrong. Only true and false.” -Fiona Apple

Jenny Lewis (Rilo Kiley; guitar, vocals & singer-songwriter)

Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs; vocals & tomfoolery)



1 comment:

  1. Alright girl, I know I'm old and you did admit to having to leave off some people but I don't think you can have this list without putting the Wilson sisters on it. I might have added Bonnie Raitt as well. Nice list, though. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete